Professor and Hogg Family Director of Engineering Management and Entrepreneurship
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Office - 118 Teer Building
Jeffrey T. Glass is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and is the Director of the Pratt School's Master of Engineering Management Program at Duke University. He also holds the Hogg Family endowed chair in Engineering Management and Entrepreneurship. Formerly, he was the Co-Director of The Institute for the Integration of Management and Engineering at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) and held the Joseph F. Toot, Jr. endowed chair in the Case School of Engineering. Jeff received his Bachelors and Masters degrees from Johns Hopkins University, and a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Virginia. He also received an MBA from Duke University's Global Executive (GEMBA) program.
His current appointment involves research in electronic materials as well as the development of joint educational, research and technology transfer activities related to the intersection of business and technology. He consults and holds advisory board appointments with various companies in materials-related areas and has served as an expert witness in patent litigation. Prior to his appointment at CWRU, he was the Vice President of R&D for Kobe Steel USA Inc. with a focus on electronic materials. Prior to joining Kobe Steel, he was a tenured faculty member in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at North Carolina State University. He has been involved in the study of Innovation Management in technology-based organizations with a focus on the early stages of technical development and received the 2004 Industrial Research Institute’s Maurice Holland Award for his paper entitled “Managing the Ties Between Central R&D and Business Units.” Jeff's technical research has focused on the growth and characterization of thin films for electronics, primarily carbon nanotubes, graphene, diamond and Silicon Carbide. Chemical vapor deposition, sputtering, materials analysis and electronic properties are his areas of interest. He has published over 140 papers and book chapters, edited seven books and is a co-inventor on 14 patents. He has been a short course instructor for several professional societies and companies and has organized numerous conferences. He has given over 50 invited presentations in 12 different countries. He served as a member of a Presidential Science Advisor's committee for the assessment of diamond technology in Japan and has received two teaching awards and the National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator award. He has held adjunct faculty appointments at North Carolina State University, Case Western Reserve University and the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina where he has taught executive courses on Managing Innovation.
Awards and Honors
Fellow, World Technology Innovation Foundation
Fellow, Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce
Maurice Holland Award for Best Paper, Industrial Research Institute, 2004
Outstanding Teacher Award, North Carolina State University, 1992-1993
Sigma Xi Research Award, North Carolina State University, 1991-1992
Presidential Young Investigator Award, July, 1990
Solar Energy Materials
Sensing and Sensor Systems
- Peng, Qing and Lewis, Jay S. and Hoertz, Paul G. and Glass, Jeffrey T. and Parsons, Gregory N., Atomic layer deposition for electrochemical energy generation and storage systems, Journal of Vacuum Science \& Technology A, vol. 30 no. 1 (January, 2012) [abs].
- Raut, Akshay S. and Parker, Charles B. and Stoner, Brian R. and Glass, Jeffrey T., Effect of porosity variation on the electrochemical behavior of vertically aligned multi-walled carbon nanotubes, Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 190 (2012), pp. 138--141 [S1388248112001208], [doi] .
- Stoner, Brian R. and Glass, Jeffrey T., Carbon nanostructures: A morphological classification for charge density optimization, Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 230 (2012), pp. 130--134 [S0925963512000520], [doi] .
- Stoner, Brian R. and Raut, Akshay S. and Brown, Billyde and Parker, Charles B. and Glass, Jeffrey T., Graphenated carbon nanotubes for enhanced electrochemical double layer capacitor performance, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99 no. 18 (October, 2011) [abs].
- Stoner, Brian R. and Piascik, Jeffrey R. and Gilchrist, Kristin Hedgepath and Parker, Charles B. and Glass, Jeffrey T., A Bipolar Vacuum Microelectronic Device, Ieee Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 58 no. 9 (September, 2011), pp. 3189--3194